At Cirrus Medical Staffing, we work with top quality nurses, therapists and other allied professionals, matching them with the best hospitals in the country. In honor of Child Life Month, we’re highlighting Akron Children’s Hospital, a top-ranked pediatric hospital who regularly staffs travel pediatric nurses from Cirrus.
When it comes to top-notch care for the pediatric population, Akron Children’s brings the heat. Let’s start with the accolades: U.S. News & World Report has recognized Akron Children’s as a Best Children’s Hospital, and they also earned Magnet Recognition Status for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its PICU department was awarded the AACN Beacon Award for Excellence, Silver Level, in 2015 (one of only three children’s hospitals in Ohio to receive this honor). Sound like a facility you’d like on your resume? Keep reading.
Their staff of more than 740 pediatric providers delivers high quality care each year to more than 800,000 infants, children, teens, burn victims of all ages and adults with congenital, genetic and maternal/fetal conditions. Headquartered at their hospital campuses in Akron and Mahoning Valley, Ohio, Akron Children’s integrated healthcare system has more than 80 locations that serve the entire region. Akron Children’s is a major teaching affiliate of Northeast Ohio Medical University, helping train a new generation of pediatricians and specialists.
Akron Children’s dedication to advancing pediatric medicine, and raising the bar for standards of patient care gives pediatric travel nurses and other healthcare professionals something to strive for. In our interview with them, they shared what it takes to be an Akron Children’s nurse, and the career enrichment, achievement and challenges that come along with the title.
CRRT, noninvasive and invasive positive pressure ventilation, Near InfraRed Spectroscopy (NIRS monitoring), cutting edge surgical techniques for cardiothoracic/plastics/orthopedic and other surgeries, in-line blood sampling and lab monitoring to preserve blood and prevent blood draws, to name a few.
There are multiple examples, including the use of vapotherm to prevent invasive ventilation.
The PICU nurse, for example, needs to be clinically strong, but also sensitive to the other needs of both patients and families. They must believe in the total teamwork model of care, including patients and families as part of that care team. They are expert at providing care to patients of all ages, all acuity, a wide range of medical and surgical conditions, and are able to accurately assess and anticipate the needs of the patient and family.
Cardiac nurses, on the other hand, must have excellent clinical skills and the ability to provide care to an extremely complex subset of patients. Pediatric cardiac patients are extremely challenging and require the utmost of nursing excellence. The cardiac nurses are expert clinicians who strive to continually learn and grow professionally to optimize the care they provide to this complex population.
In 2015, PICU treated a total of 1,315 patients (6,144 patient days). 80.6% of those patient days were medical patient days, while the other 19.4% were surgical patient days. Akron Children’s PICU also compares our outcomes against other PICU’s across the country though the Virtual PICU System (VPS) database, and we routinely perform above the benchmark on most quality indicators, and actually lead the way on many of them!
Amazing teamwork, strong collegiality in a truly multidisciplinary team approach, and a family-centered care model of care where we partner with the patients and families at all times to create the best possible health care team.
Want to learn more about open positions at Akron Children’s across all modalities and specialties? Apply now!